how to make Couscous sexy
Updated: Aug 25, 2020
Divine Vegan dish. 11 easy steps
Couscous are small steamed balls of crushed duram wheat. They are a staple food in Morrocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Mauritania. It is very popular with vegans and vegetarians, but I eat with cold with salads and hot any kind of main course.
Ingredients (suitable for vegans)
100g or 1 red pepper,
100g or 1 yellow pepper
Tin of chopped tomatoes
Handful of raisins
2 cloves garlic
I large onion
1 tsp of oregano
1 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of coriander
4 tablespoons of olive oil
A few shakes of Tabasco or pepper sauce
1/2 tsp Salt and
1/2 tsp black pepper
A mug of couscous
A mug of boiling water
Sprigs of parsely or cilantro (optional)
1. Heat oven to 200 degrees celcius
2. Prepare the following
100g mushrooms, sliced small
150g pumpkin, chopped into small cubes
100g or 1 red pepper, chopped
100g or 1yellow pepper, chopped
I large onion chopped into dice
1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
3. Place all above ingredients, except the garlic, raisins, herbs and tabasco sauce, in a baking tray and sprinkle with four tablespoons of olive oil and a half a teaspoon of salt, and half a teaspoon of pepper. Mix thoroughly.
4. Place in oven 25 minutes
5. Remove baking dish from oven and stir all the ingredients. Sprinkle with the crushed garlic, raisins, 1 tsp of dried oregano, 1 tsp of cumin and 1 tsp of coriander. Add tabasco or pepper sauce … as much or as little for your taste… stir mixture. Its hot, so take care!
6. Bake for 5 minutes more.
7. Meanwhile, prepare couscous. Generally it is 1:1 couscous to water. Put vegetable stock or a teaspon of salt in the boiling water, before pouring over the dried couscous in a bigger glass or ceramic dish. Cover with a plate or cloth and leave to one side. Remember the less water makes a drier couscous. A little more water makes slightly sticky couscous. One mug of dried couscous to one mug of water makes four cups of cooked couscous.
8. Take baked vegetables from oven and mix thoroughly with 150g of tinned chopped tomatoes.
9. Return to oven for 3 minutes
10. Remove vegetable mix from oven and stir in the couscous. Scoop into serving dishes and top with small sprigs of parsley or cilantro.
11. Serve with a salad and a glass of wine for the perfect romantic dinner.
Chefs Tips and Tricks
Most recipes dictate fluffing couscous with a fork before serving. A good couscous chef would line a rimmed baking sheet with clean kitchen paper and pour the cooked couscous into it and use clean washed fingers to gently break up the grains. Each grain should have a distinct texture, not clumpy balls of couscous stuck together.